New electrical safety standards for tenancies in the private rented sector have come into force on 1st June 2020.
These regulations apply in England to all new tenancies from 1 July 2020 and all existing tenancies from 1 April 2021. This means that tenancies signed on or after 1 June 2020, which start on or after 1 July 2020 should have an Electrical Installation Condition Report, (EICR). Typically, an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) is used to conduct an electrical installation safety report.
The regulations require that private landlords must ensure:
- Electrical safety standards are met when the property is occupied during a tenancy.
- Every fixed electrical installation at the property is inspected and tested at least every five years by a qualified person.
- The first inspection and testing is carried out before new tenancies commence on or after 1 July 2020 and by 1 April 2021 for existing tenancies.
If an existing certificate was done longer than five years ago, regardless of whether it is valid for 10 years, it will not be applicable for these Regulations. Consequently, to comply with the Electrical Safety Standards the existing EICR must be less than five years old (dated back five years from when the tenancy agreement was signed).
Therefore, following the inspection and testing a landlord must:
- Obtain a report that includes the results of the inspection and test and the date of the next inspection and test.
- Supply a copy of that report to each existing tenant at the property with 28 calendar days of the inspection and test.
- Supply a copy of the most recent report to any new tenant before the tenant moves in and to any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a request in writing for the report.
- Retain a copy of the report until the next inspection and test is due as well as supply a copy to the person carrying out the next inspection and test.
Where a report requires the landlord to undertake further investigative or remedial work, the landlord must ensure that the work is carried out by a qualified person within 28 calendar days or the period specified in the report if less than 28 days, starting with the date of the inspection and testing.
- Obtain: landlords must obtain written confirmation from a qualified person that further work has been carried out and that the electrical safety standards have been met.
- Supply: written confirmation together with a copy of the report which required the further investigative or remedial work to each existing tenant and the local housing authority within 28 days of completion of the work.
Specific information regarding the above and details on Remedial Notice and Financial Penalties can be found on
We have a variety of properties that are available for a shorter or more flexible term. So if you are looking for a more flexible rental arrangement or unwilling to commit to a year’s tenancy then we can help.
A stunning four bedroom barn conversion in Selham, West Sussex, is available fully furnished on a weekly basis as a holiday let, or on a 3 – 6 month contract. The property incudes a stunning kitchen with electric Aga, large open plan dining space, vaulted ceilings, galleried landing, courtyard garden and lawn area. It is situated in a beautiful setting close to Midhurst and Petworth.
In an equally beautiful setting in the Meon Valley is a stylish, fully furnished two bedroom brick and flint cottage, available fully furnished for 9 months. The cottage has an open plan kitchen, dining and sitting room, with wonderful views over private grounds.
Available furnished or unfurnished for either 3, 6 or 12 months is a 2 double bedroom barn conversion in Broughton, Nr Stockbridge. It is set in a courtyard with separate private terrace and views to open countryside beyond. The Property is approached via electric gates and has open plan living space with vaulted ceiling, fireplace with stove and book-shelving. To the rear of this room is the well-appointed kitchen with dining space and a comprehensive range of equipment and appliances.
For full details on these properties and more see www.countryhousecompany.co.uk or call 023 92 632275