Gas Safety Week 2022, taking place 12-18 September, is an annual awareness campaign to ensure all properties are gas safe.
The Country House Company supports the campaign annually highlighting to landlords and tenants of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
TOP TIPS TO STAY SAFE
Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions.
Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
Keep vents and chimneys clear. Make sure you don’t block any vents, as they are vital to ensure gas appliances burn properly, and chimneys need to be cleaned and checked regularly.
Use gas appliances only for their intended purpose. Don’t be tempted to use them for something they weren’t meant for (e.g using a gas cooker to heat a room).
Know the emergency procedure. If you smell gas or suspect immediate danger, make sure you familiarise yourself with the emergency procedure and contact the relevant number for your UK region.
Every tenant should have a copy of a valid gas safety certificate. If your property is Fully Managed by The Country House Company, we have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year.