Call or email us now: 01730 771 222 01962 571189 01590 631673 info@countryhousecompany.co.uk

Gas safety

May 25, 2017 Marishelle Gibson

Whilst many feel that rules are made for the guidance of wise men and obedience of fools and that we are bogged down as a country by too many rules and regulations there are many that are vital and can only be for the greater good. Reasonable legislation bought in to protect the safety of tenants and properties should not be argued with.
Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based products, such as natural gas and liquid petroleum (LPG). This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.
In the right hands gas is safe, however if things go wrong gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer because you cannot see it, taste it or smell it and it can kill quickly with no warning. Every year CO poisoning affects over 4,000 people in the UK. The warning symptoms are numerous and detailed in a press release on this website see https://www.countryhousecompany.co.uk/category/news/
Landlords have a legal duty to maintain gas appliances that are provided and ensure a gas safety check is carried out every 12 months, by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
We do ensure that this is carried out for all our managed properties and landlords are advised at the beginning of every tenancy. But the matter of gas safety is so important that responsible letting agents need to bring it to the attention of landlords and tenants regularly.

Marishelle Gibson

Back